Tips for a Smooth Credentialing Process

Posted on

Tips for a Smooth Credentialing Process


There are a number of items that will make credentialing go much smoother, whether you are planning on going on a locum’s assignment or taking a permanent position. Take a look at the list below and brush up your documents folder before you apply next time for a smoother process for everyone:

  • DEA for the state of assignment

If you do not currently have your DEA in the state of assignment, you will either need to apply for a new DEA or change the business address associated with the DEA. Keep in mind, you must have an active DEA for each state that you are prescribing medication. So if you plan on only doing locums on weekends, for example, while keeping your main practice in another state, you will have to have multiple DEAs. DEA address changes take between 3-7 business days on average, so swapping the address back and forth is not feasible in the previously mentioned example.

Change your DEA business address here at:

  • License for the state of assignment

The licensing process takes anywhere from 2-6 months, depending on the state, number of other state licenses the board will have to verify, number of prior employers and a variety of other factors. Look into the Interstate Medical Licensure Compact as a way to apply for multiple licenses in a quicker manner if you are interested.

IMLC website:

  • CV – updated to explain ALL gaps and in a MM/YYYY format
  • Peer reference information– do not include office numbers, as often the person answering the phone plays an unnecessary middleman between the verifier and the reference. Call if you do not have cell phone numbers or email addresses and provide these instead.
  • Immunization records, with TB from the past 12 months
  • CPR cards
  • Many credentialing departments also want a copy of the physician wallet license card
  • Malpractice insurance informationfor the past 10 years: this can be requested from you past/present facilities’ Medical Staff Office or the Risk Management Department. You need to have copies of what are called “Certificates of insurance,” proving your coverage amounts while employed at the various facilities.
  • Diplomas: for your medical school/internship/residency/fellowship programs
  • Procedure logs: These go by many names: case logs/ patient encounter logs, etc. A list of cases and patients seen within the past 24 months. Be sure all patient information is redacted, we don’t want a HIPAA violation.
  • Driver’s license or passport
  • NPI #
  • ECFMG certificate: if an international medical graduate

With a little bit of effort up front, you can ensure that your file is a breeze to process so you can get to work faster in the future.


Written By Guest Blogger

– Marita Hiett, Lead Risk Management Specialist, Pacific Companies

If you have any questions on how to set your healthcare facility apart from the rest, call us any time and we will share some ideas with you.

Share this Blog

Login Form

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Registration Form

Please Enter a Password(Required)
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.